Thursday, May 16, 2013

Unemployment Woes

Every day I look for work online. Since I live in Maine, and since the print world is shrinking, and since I refuse to write for free or for less than a penny a word, or even a penny a word, I never find anything in my chosen profession. So I look in other professions.

This morning I was intrigued by an ad for a full-time, automotive, entry-level parts counter person. I know it sounds bad, but I could walk there. It said that the applicant "must possess above average work ethics." That got me wondering why they needed someone with above average work ethics. Not just good ones, but really extraordinary ones. I felt they were asking too much, it being an entry-level position. Couldn't you start off with just average work ethics and improve upon them over time? Ultimately I felt that, besides not knowing anything about automotive parts, I have only average work ethics and thus if I even applied for the job I would be lying, which would be an example of below average work ethics even before I got hired.

Another job for a sales associate in an upscale gift shop in a trendy little touristy town nearby sounded promising, except at the end it said that "offering samples of food products is a must." Too dictatorial. Besides, who wants somebody shoving food in their face while they're shopping?

So it's back to square one.


1 comment:

  1. My guess is that the last guy who worked at the Parts Store would call in sick too often, or not show up to work, or talk/rext/play on the cel phone too much.
    I think working there would give you some great material and maybe you would connect with people who could fix your cars......
    I wish I could be a mechanic. I just don't have much interest in computers and many cars now require some of that.....

    ReplyDelete

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...