Friday, May 24, 2013

I Give Up

I recently read of an artist with a show in New York, or somewhere just like it, whose work consists of his throwing tomatoes at blank canvases and then hanging the result on the wall. This is annoying to say the least. Dead cows floating in tanks of water, smashed tomatoes--what chance do I have with my normal paintings of cows in a field or flowers in a vase? Why bother? In fact, why bother doing anything when there's always someone doing it way worse but succeeding at it way better? There are blogs about donuts that make a fortune. Donuts! So I have decided that this blog which doesn't make a dime, and which has very few readers anyway, should be much worse in order to be much better. Starting today, right now. (Don't you just hate/love this?)




4 comments:

  1. again I ask, I mean tell, you aren't writing for the RESULT of the writing, are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really mitch even if it says neil

    anyway your problem here is measuring "value" in terms of "money". Did THEY make good art or did you? Did they emjoy the process as much as you (maybe yes I don't know) . . . anyway money is clearly doled out not on the basis of goodness . . but on the basis of sensationalism

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't GIVE UP! Keep up the good work Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Bring On the Tear Gas

On October 12, 1969, knowing next to nothing about the situation, I accompanied three college friends to a demonstration. It was the first o...