Thursday, June 1, 2023

What's Pride Got to Do With It?

A few of the proud in Jerusalem today.
Today an estimated 30,000 Israelis marched in the Jerusalem Gay Pride Parade. Having just returned from a week in that city I was somewhat interested and so read a few of the news articles online and watched some videos. What nobody mentioned was just what the heck they're  all so proud of.

I grew up with gays in my life and certainly am no stranger to the whole LGBT thing, with numerous friends and family members, male and female, who identify as gay. But I have never understood how pride is involved. I certainly don't feel proud that I am straight. (Should I be? Or should I be embarrassed?)

According to the dictionary definition, the very word has little to recommend it: pride n. A high, esp. an excessively high, opinion of one's own worth or importance which gives rise to a feeling or attitude of superiority over others; inordinate self-esteem.

Being gay doesn't make you better than not being gay. I wish they would all get over themselves and have sex with whomever they want and stop talking about it. Who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fat Is Never Good

                        For reasons that remain unclear, a growing acceptance of fat people has taken root in our society. Online, more and...