Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Mean Mainers

Maine's #1 sport: Boiling live lobsters.
This morning I made the mistake of joining a local Facebook group called Freeport Notes. Fool that I am, I ventured an opinion there that proved blasphemous with the townies, and in usual Maine fashion was told bluntly to "go somewhere else" where my heretical views might be acceptable. In other words, get the hell outta here.

Mind you, I was not advocating for banning lobster fishing or outlawing whoopee pies. I simply said that I was sorry the plans for a proposed new building had been shot down by anti-growth types, insuring that Freeport stays small and insignificant. 

For that unthinkable statement I was immediately excoriated. One man wrote "the success of LLBean must be prioritized over the comfort of any of Freeport's citizens." WTF? What's Bean's got to do with it? Naturally I left the group and will keep my mouth shut about things of that nature.

Maine sure is pretty and there's no traffic, but the natives are not friendly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Crimes and Miss-Demeanors

I haven't tuned in to watch any of the trial coverage for Donald Trump's latest non-crime case, but I have heard snippets on my car ...