Sunday, June 4, 2023

The All Style, No Substance Generation


Last night I dined out with my husband and another couple at a new restaurant a few towns over. It's gotten lots of hype and despite knowing it's very expensive we decided to check it out since it would be my "birthday" dinner, even though my birthday is days away. Anyway, there we were at the Sicilian Table in affluent Falmouth, Maine, hoping for the best. Instead we got the worst.

I knew right away we were headed for trouble the minute I entered and saw the over-the-top decor. (See photo.) The place looks like a Cirque d' Soleil nightmare, or possibly the set of a Fellini movie. Giant fish sculptures hang from the ceiling, and weird string lights spanning over the crazy mix and match furnishings and wall coverings make for a stunning but almost blinding ambiance. Sadly they left the windows uncovered, exposing a bleak view of a parking lot and strip mall lined with neon-lit store signs and a gas station across the street. (Really guys, I hope the window shades are back-ordered.)

The food, in a word, sucked. I can and do make much better myself, and it doesn't cost a fortune. The prices at the Sicilian Table are ridiculously high, I assume to pay for the outrageous Vegas-style interior. I could describe what we all ate but I won't bother. Suffice it to say that today's young people love this sort of thing: a fun atmosphere for a date night where the food is secondary to the possibility of hooking up.

For a consistently great meal in down-to-earth surroundings, go to Buck's Naked Barbecue in Freeport instead. The simple food is always excellent, and their Caesar salad is fabulous, with crisp lettuce and a great dressing, unlike the limp greens I picked over last night at the Ritzy Millennial Palace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fat Is Never Good

                        For reasons that remain unclear, a growing acceptance of fat people has taken root in our society. Online, more and...