Wednesday, June 28, 2023

Smart Guys On Drugs

Karl Goldfield, former sales consultant and now "microdoser" to the  elite.

I'm just a lowly worm with no aspirations of anything higher so what do I know? A few things from experience and that's about it. One of those things is how LSD turns your brain into a giant, dark and jumbled cesspool of thoughts, some of which are incredibly frightening and others that might have seemed deeply enlightening at the time but after the drug wore off proved totally inane and laughable.

So I was surprised to read a long article in today's Wall Street Journal about the growing and lauded use of the drugs LSD, ketamine and "magic" mushrooms that are now commonplace in the boardrooms and backrooms of many of our largest, most successful tech companies. Elon Musk, for example, uses ketamine to think deep thoughts and come up with new ideas. He also attends psychedelic parties in Miami and Mexico, along with many other tech company execs looking for their next big thing.

To be fair, Musk and some of the others are microdosing in search of brilliance. I must have macrodosed that time back in the 70's when I thought the walls in my apartment's bathroom were covered with black widow spiders and that the neighbors were all foreign spies bent on kidnapping me. I had no deep thoughts; my one insight was if this drug ever wears off I will never, ever, ever do this to myself again.

It's no wonder I'm not the head of any fabulous tech company: I hate vomiting. And lots of these top guys attend "ayahuasca retreats in Costa Rica geared to tech entrepreneurs and CEOS," that last for days. Drinking the stuff at first induces violent vomiting but "can also open the mind," said one leader who attends regularly. Former sales consultant Karl Goldfield (see photo) is now a consultant to the rich and famous, helping them determine the correct dosage to avoid becoming addicted or dead.

Hey, I don't care how smart anything might make me, I am not vomiting, no way no how -- it just seems wrong, and certainly counter-productive. I am also never buying a Tesla.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Crimes and Miss-Demeanors

I haven't tuned in to watch any of the trial coverage for Donald Trump's latest non-crime case, but I have heard snippets on my car ...