Sunday, November 4, 2018

TV Series Review: HOMECOMING

Julia Roberts and Bobby Cannavale
It's hard to remember back when the only thing you got from Amazon was books. Now it's anything and everything, from Pepperidge Farm cookies to, well, to anything. (I know about the cookies because I send them to my sister.) One of those anythings is a 10-part TV series called Homecoming, which my husband and I watched this past weekend.

We started it Friday night, thinking we would check out the new series after reading a positive review in the paper. Each episode is 30 minutes, so we figured we would watch maybe two or three. We watched five, saving the rest for the next night. I couldn't wait.

As bad luck would have it, the next day an impressive windstorm knocked out our power. Besides the fact that by nightfall the house was cold, the food was spoiling, we couldn't use the hot tub and it was very dark inside, I was most upset about not watching the rest of that TV show. My husband came to the rescue with some magic involving his car in the driveway and a cell phone, allowing us to devour the remaining episodes in our living room on his laptop.

Suffice it to say that this offering by Amazon Prime Video (you have to be a member) was definitely worth all the technological shenanigans. It is, in a word, great. It stars Julia Roberts, who I normally find sickeningly-sweet but here she was just right as a half-crazed therapist named Heidi, and Bobby Cannavale (who I have adored since he played Will's boyfriend on the original Will & Grace) as her fully-crazed -- or is he? -- corporate boss.

It's a scary thriller about some bad deeds done by our duplicitous government in the name of scientific advancement that might make you even more paranoid than you already are. It's interesting to watch the famous Pretty Woman time-travel four years into the future, changing back and forth from her usual pretty self into a not-so-pretty frump. Sissy Spacek is on hand too, fabulous as Heidi's mother, as well as a few other actors you might recognize. To say more would spoil the fun. Just watch it, if you can figure out how.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Somebody's Pies For Sale

As a pretty decent baker myself, I almost never buy a pie made by a stranger. I've sampled enough of them to know they are not worth the...