Sunday, November 18, 2018

How to Feel Better, or Worse, Fast

Suddenly, the fact that we die is all up in my face, and I must say it's been kind of annoying. It started with the death of my oldest friend/former husband about a month ago, maybe two. (Today's his birthday, or would have been, so he's on my mind.) We were the same age, so his passing makes it very clear that, well -- you know. Then there's my present husband's pain-in-the-ass cell phone app called WeCroak, which he got to remind him, and of course me since he tells me about it each time it reminds him, that well -- you know.

Adding to my recent wistfulness, last night I watched a movie called A Serious Man. Released in 2009, it's a product of Joel and Ethan Coen, those talented brothers who make a living from being depressed. Like many of their films it is considered to be a comedy despite it being all about how much this life sucks, how meaningless it all is, ending as it does in death for all of us so what's the difference what happens. Despite the undercurrent of despair it's an absorbing film, though certainly not a "must-see." In fact, if you're looking to be depressed I'd say go with The Pianist, which I have watched countless times. It doesn't try to be funny and never fails to bring me down.

On the other hand, if you're hoping to to feel happier, according to the experts in such matters there's a quick fix: Make your mouth into a smile, and even if you are feeling sad, the muscles in your face will activate certain brain cells and you will actually feel happier, as you would if you were sincerely smiling. Try it; it works. (You have to hold that smile for a couple of minutes.) 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

Somebody's Pies For Sale

As a pretty decent baker myself, I almost never buy a pie made by a stranger. I've sampled enough of them to know they are not worth the...