Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Political Feeding Frenzy

Small town voting can be hazardous to your health, as I learned a short time ago. To get to the voting booths set up in the gymnasium of our local high school, one first had to navigate through two long rooms filled with groups hawking their special interests, each set up at a folding table loaded with sugar-laden, luscious-looking, tempting empty calories.

In the first room, in support of various school programs, one could purchase donuts sourced from Krispy Kreme and Dunkin's. Also for sale were homemade cookies including the usual favorites, chocolate-chip, oatmeal raisin and shortbread. There were mountains of cupcakes, both apple-walnut and blueberry, and some others topped in various colors of icing. It was enough to send a diabetic into insulin shock with one deep breath. The second room featured more of the same with the addition of Whoopie Pies and croissants. This was where one could sign petitions in favor of dying with dignity, expanding the public library or fixing the leaky roof at the middle school.

I managed to get through without caving in but hoped for a side exit as an escape on the way out since I felt myself weakening. Alas there was none, but happily I ran into someone I know who I engaged in meaningless blabber until we got safely outside. Now I'm proud that I can say "I voted," and without any extra carbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Somebody's Pies For Sale

As a pretty decent baker myself, I almost never buy a pie made by a stranger. I've sampled enough of them to know they are not worth the...