Wednesday, November 7, 2018

The End of Life As We Know It

Years ago I dated a lawyer. It was hard not to since I lived in Washington, D.C., where it was either a lawyer or an artist and the lawyers had better perks, like cars and food. Anyway, Bill was cynical about his profession, feeling, rightly so, that there were far too many of his kind. "It's like everyone's a lawyer," he would complain, usually after meeting another three or four at a cocktail party. I asked him what he thought our society would be like if there were fewer lawyers, and without skipping a beat he answered, "People would fight less. Everyone would try harder to get along."

I thought of his comment this morning when I read that The Girl Scouts of America have filed a lawsuit against The Boy Scouts of America for dropping the word "boy" from their name. They will soon be The Scouts BSA, a decision made because they now allow girls to join, which is completely nuts and don't get me started on that one, maybe some other time. For now, I'm sticking with this name thing. So the Girl Scouts are afraid that girls won't know which group to join and ultimately their membership will fall off.

Two questions came to mind immediately: "Who cares?" and "So what?" Besides the fact that Girl Scout cookies are terrible these days (and expensive), haven't they heard that the concept of gender is so last year? Instead, both groups should move beyond the whole "boys" and "girls" thing and form one group called They or Them Scouts of America.

Dammit, I should have been a lawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Somebody's Pies For Sale

As a pretty decent baker myself, I almost never buy a pie made by a stranger. I've sampled enough of them to know they are not worth the...