Monday, November 26, 2018

Expert Advice


Sometimes I read my old blog posts just for fun and am amazed that I have come up with so many things to write about since I am not a bona fide expert in any field. However there is one area in which I possess undeniable expertise, and that's crossword puzzles. I do them for fun and also to keep my brain from dying, which some doctor told me years ago could happen if I stopped pushing all the cells around in there.

Being an expert in crosswords has its pluses and minuses. The good thing is I can always finish them, which brings its own sort of satisfaction. But the bad thing is that they pretty much all use the same clues, so it's gotten less challenging the older I get. For example, a wildly popular clue answer is AWL, which is a tool for punching holes in leather. I swear it's in just about every puzzle. Another one is EWE, often clued as "mom on the farm." And the following celebrities show up constantly, simply because the letters in their names play well with others. (Parenthetical italics show how they are typically clued.):

ELENA Kagan (Supreme justice)
AVA Gardner (actress once married to Sinatra)
ANI DiFranco (singer DiFranco)
Arthur ASHE (hero on the court)
Ed ASNER (newsroom boss)
NIA Vardalos (Greek film bride)
EVE (first female)
MIA Farrow (Woody's ex)

That's all the expertise I got. Certainly not enough to write a best-seller or get me on a talk show, but possibly enough to help you complete a crossword puzzle someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Somebody's Pies For Sale

As a pretty decent baker myself, I almost never buy a pie made by a stranger. I've sampled enough of them to know they are not worth the...