Thursday, November 1, 2018

Glad to Be Nobody

This morning I had one of those annoying online spats with a stranger. I hate those. I had written a comment on Facebook in support of Maine's Senator Susan Collins, and one of the Internet trolls instantly despised me because he despises Susan Collins. So, with nothing better to do I suppose, he went and looked up my profile and saw that where you are supposed to write what you are or what you do or how you would describe yourself, I had written the word "nobody." Which I am, just like all of us: indistinguishable blades of grass in a ginormous, neverending lawn, but he seized on this and wrote me a private message (!) saying: "You certainly are what you say you are." Ouch?

I responded with "Aren't we all?" He went on to say I should "read more Camus and drink less coffee." I said I have read all of Camus several times over.  (I let the coffee comment slide because it was just plain irrelevant.) Anyway, unable to resist I looked at his profile and found, to absolutely no surprise, that it was full of anti-Trump invective and tree-hugging directives.

The good news is that I don't know the guy and never have to interact with him again. But poor Senator Collins: Her Facebook page is filled with rage from haters, and he's all over it. As always, I am stunned that anyone enters politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Somebody's Pies For Sale

As a pretty decent baker myself, I almost never buy a pie made by a stranger. I've sampled enough of them to know they are not worth the...