Thursday, November 29, 2018

You Can't Fake Genius

There was only one Freddie Mercury; accept no substitutes.
Everyone is agog over the new movie, Bohemian Rhapsody, that pretends to tell the story of the rock group Queen, and especially its flamboyantly gay front man Freddie Mercury who had the voice of an angel implanted in him by God. As a hardcore fan who has heard every song on every album and knows the intakes and exhales of every breath Freddie takes on all the hit songs, it's a wonder to many of my friends why I have not yet seen the film. Here's why I haven't, and won't.

By all critical accounts of the people who know such things, it's a bullshit, sugar-coated, made for the masses, phony-baloney look at Mercury and the rise of the group, produced by the surviving band members running out of cash and eager to milk his memory for more money. Freddie has become, in death, a new industry! So many TV commercials use his songs these days, it's sickening. I cannot support this.

Instead I often watch the group perform live on YouTube, and listen to their music in my headphones when I go walking. I have read the outstanding biography of Freddie called, of course, "Mercury," and you should too. (Buy the book; link below) Therein lies the real scoop, not the sanitized version. After all, the man died of AIDS at the age of 46, and he certainly earned it. Find out how.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Intimate-Biography-Freddie/dp/1451663951/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1543503155&sr=8-1&keywords=freddy+mercury+biography

No comments:

Post a Comment

Somebody's Pies For Sale

As a pretty decent baker myself, I almost never buy a pie made by a stranger. I've sampled enough of them to know they are not worth the...