Friday, March 24, 2023

March Mega Madness

I know very little about professional sports. Of course I know how games are played, but not about how individuals obsessed with a particular sport have elevated it to insane heights that blot out the rest of life for a season. This is true for what is called "March Madness.

I used to think "March Madness" had something to do with Alice in Wonderland. Isn't there a character named the March Hare who went crazy? Or was that the Mad Hatter? (I read the book about 60 years ago so understandably I'm a bit blurry on the plot.) But it turns out it's about basketball.

A couple of weeks ago my husband suggested I "pick brackets to win money in an office pool." I had no idea his office even had a pool! But then he explained what that meant and showed me that all I had to do was choose a team from two that were playing against one another and keep doing that. So I did. It took about two minutes to randomly check a lot of little boxes. I never heard of the teams and I had no system. It was just whatever name struck me in some way. 

I am now in first place (out of 31) and stand to win $200. My husband, who knows a ton about sports and has played the brackets for most of his adulthood, thoughtfully contemplating his choices for several days, is in 20th place.

It really is madness after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fat Is Never Good

                        For reasons that remain unclear, a growing acceptance of fat people has taken root in our society. Online, more and...