Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Aging: Everybody's Doing It!

A few weeks ago I read an article in the Wall Street Journal about the alarming and growing lack of people willing to care for ailing seniors who choose to stay at home rather than move to an assisted living facility or nursing home. Apparently taking care of old, sick people is not appealing -- imagine that!

Appealing or not, somebody's gotta do it. And guess what: The young people who scoff at the thought today will someday be old themselves, and then what? So these jobs are now being filled by retirees and others in their 60s and 70s who have the time and compassion required. 

Being a senior myself, albeit one who is physically active, mentally youthful and extremely empathetic, I figured if I don't take such a job, then who will? So I did, and God help me if I hate it. I start next week. And who knows, maybe this will wipe out all my prior sins and get me into Heaven. (Fingers crossed.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fat Is Never Good

                        For reasons that remain unclear, a growing acceptance of fat people has taken root in our society. Online, more and...