Monday, March 20, 2023

Upping My DEI Quotient

Today I learned that UC Berkeley spends $25 million annually and employs a staff of 400 to ensure DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion) on campus. That got me wondering two things: A, how can any parent send their child to that school knowing that and B, exactly what does someone working in the DEI Department do all day to earn their salary? 

I'm asking because things are simply not diverse enough around our house. For starters, my husband and I are both white and both Jewish. We do not employ anyone who is not white and Jewish! We don't employ anyone at all but still, there are only white Jews in our house, especially when my son visits. We also do not employ anyone who is any of the LGBTQ letters. We have friends and three relatives who are G but they are not on staff, plus they are also white Jews. Also, we have a cat only but no dog or other animal.

So how do we up our DEI numbers? I'm worried because I'm pretty sure that someday soon ordinary Americans will be arrested and jailed for not being diverse enough. After all, former president Donald Trump is about to be arrested for cheating on his wife and wanting to keep it quiet! (Like duh, who wouldn't?) Those folks at Berkeley must know what to do; maybe I'll give them a call. After all there are 400 of them, I can probably get someone on the phone. 

I know one thing for sure: If we hired a black maid our house would probably be burned to the ground. Good thing I don't like strangers hanging around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fat Is Never Good

                        For reasons that remain unclear, a growing acceptance of fat people has taken root in our society. Online, more and...