Monday, March 6, 2023

Lose Weight for World Peace

"The Family" by Fernando Botero

Today I read something shocking: According to the Harvard School of Public Health, by the year 2030 half of all Americans will be classified as obese, with a quarter of them considered to be severely obese. That's only seven years from now. The shocking part is that I thought they already were. If you take look around, it seems like more than half, especially if you're looking at Walt Disney World.

As someone who is mildly overweight -- about ten pounds if you ask me (although my loving husband says I'm fine the way I am, but he wears glasses), I can say with authority that it sucks. Clothes feel tight and uncomfortable, hiking is harder, exercising is downright daunting, and mindlessly consuming  empty calories like chips, cookies, cake, candy, ice cream, in search of comfort, satisfaction or to fill a void in one's life is unpleasant beyond words. This  explains why so very many people you meet are unpleasant beyond words. 

Imagine how nice things could be if people felt good about themselves instead of reeking of self-hatred and spewing poison at strangers online. Maybe then we could all get along.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fat Is Never Good

                        For reasons that remain unclear, a growing acceptance of fat people has taken root in our society. Online, more and...