Tuesday, March 7, 2023

How Can I Judge You? Let Me Count the Ways.

The most popular sport these days is not football or baseball or basketball, or even soccer. It's passing judgment. Everyone does it regardless of their qualifications or skill level, and they do it ad nauseam regarding any and every aspect of another person.

Here's an example. This afternoon a friend wanted to send me something so asked for my email address. When I told him, he laughed, then registered shock and awe that it was @AOL.com. "Not really," he said. "You don't still use AOL!" 

Spewing bullets is very popular.
I punched him a few times to knock some sense into him -- just a playful sock on his beefy bicep -- and asked, "What's the big deal?" He had no answer, he just shrugged and said it was so "old." Well guess what, so am I. And besides, I pointed out, you're still using UPS for your packages and the USPS for your snail mail, and they're even older. 

It's bad enough that we get judged on our appearance, our politics, our pets, our food choices (ask any vegetarian), where we live and how we earn a living, but now our meaningless email carrier signifies that we are nerds or dinosaurs, or nerdy dinosaurs.

I give up. I  can only meet the standards of a very few people whose opinions matter and I have narrowed that down to myself, my husband and my son. Sorry, all the rest of you. As Rhett Butler famously said, "Frankly .....  I don't give a damn."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fat Is Never Good

                        For reasons that remain unclear, a growing acceptance of fat people has taken root in our society. Online, more and...