Friday, March 17, 2023

Irish Theater, In Brief


"Top o' the morning to you!" 

That's all I got. I know very little else about the Irish in general or St. Patrick's Day in particular. This is odd since I have been to Ireland, where they drive on the opposite side of the road and eat something called "blood pudding" that tastes as bad as it sounds. I attribute my ignorance in this area to sleeping through history class in high school, so I asked my husband who is a history buff and graduated from an excellent college I could not have gotten into. His answers inspired the following one-act play.

Saint Patrick's Day

by Andrea Rouda


Me 

Tell me everything you know about St. Patrick's Day.

Mitch

All I know is that St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland, but I have no idea what that actually means.

Me 

You must know more, come on.

Mitch 

People are supposed to wear green, the official color of Ireland. It's an Irish affair.

Me 

That's it? Think, man!

Mitch 

They serve green beer in Irish bars. Some cities turn the nearby rivers  green, like Chicago, I think. Not sure how they do it.

Me 

So wearing green clothing and drinking green beer is how one properly celebrates the patron saint of Ireland?

Mitch 

Yes. And something about leprechauns. And shamrocks. 

Me

We're having corned beef and cabbage for dinner.

Mitch 

Don't forget the potatoes. You know, the famine....


-END-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Throwback Thursday: Donald Trump Is Child's Play

While the Democrats are all hot and bothered over a one-night stand between Donald Trump and Stormy Daniels, threatening to imprison him fo...