Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Skirting the Censors


This morning, after reading an article on AOL about Michelle Obama criticizing President Trump for not conceding the election, I posted the comment, "Who gives a crap what that cow thinks?" I wrote that for several reasons: A, she is a cow and B, she's nobody now and C, it is within Trump's rights to not concede until he is satisfied all the votes are counted and D, that's the level of comments on AOL so I figured I'd fit right in. But no -- my comment was censored! I was given the option of changing it or else it would not appear.

I decided that "cow" had to stay, so I substituted "hoot" for "crap" and waddya know, they took it, which I thought was odd. If I had that job I would have disallowed the word "cow" which was the truly offensive part. Who gives a hoot if it says who gives a crap? But I guess they saw the word "cow" and figured, hey, cows are nice. They give us milk, are gentle and non-aggressive, etc.

Those censors have a lot to learn about reading between the lines, even though my husband says they are all computers and know nothing of our people. Still, you've got to get by them somehow if you want your opinions known. (Someone should offer a course in Skirting Online Censorship.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting Crude Over Crudités

Despite my best instincts, all too often I wade into the cesspool known as the World Wide Web. The very name bespeaks horror, bringing to mi...