Monday, November 2, 2020

Guess My Gender

You may have noticed that people are sharing their pronouns in introductions, on nametags, and whenever a group of idiots get together.  This is happening to make spaces more inclusive of transgender, gender nonconforming, and gender non-binary people. 

Including pronouns is a first step toward respecting people’s gender identity, working against the bias of cisnormativity which runs rampant in our society, and creating a more welcoming space for people of all genders, as well as non-genders, partial genders, other species, extra-terrestrials and people who were out that day.

Naturally this keeps me very busy, what with being antiracist and fighting my innate inclination towards cisnormativity. And of course being white there is the added burden of suppressing my obvious and revolting privilege, not to mention my hideous supremacy, both of which lie dormant within me. But the biggest job I have is trying to hide my gender, since it's not anyone's business but my own. Thus, my chosen pronouns are I, me and mine. As in "I want that, give it to me, that's mine."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting Crude Over Crudités

Despite my best instincts, all too often I wade into the cesspool known as the World Wide Web. The very name bespeaks horror, bringing to mi...