Thursday, June 6, 2024

Spring Cleaning All Year Long

Even if you are advanced in years (like me), you can greatly improve your life by doing some spring cleaning, no matter the season. Discarding old clothes that no longer fit --and never will -- takes a load off. The same thing applies to friends. Other people can affect us either negatively or positively, so it's best to be choosy.

Listen carefully. If you pay close attention you'll soon notice that many of your "old friends" have little to offer of any benefit. Many of them may be unhealthy, or even all the way to out of shape alcoholics or potheads who want only to whine and complain. This is why it's best to choose your companions carefully. I've certainly chosen unwisely in the past, which explains my first marriage and that one friend I had for 20 years who re-used a length of dental floss every day for a week. But hey -- I was young. 

No longer young, my requirements have tightened up considerably, which has resulted in spending most of my time alone and a lot of new paintings. But when I do socialize with the few people I know who aren't jackasses I am assured of a good time and even some new insight, or greater outlook, and at the very least confidence that good will ultimately prevail over evil. 

For example, I am certain that two of my current friends are not humans but angels. Seriously. They may lack wings but they are superior in all ways to the rest of us common mortals. Thus being in their company is joyous. I also recently replaced two mean-spirited, cold-hearted, humorless skinflints with two new women who are warm, funny, generous and kind. What a difference they've made in my life!

Now I just have to get rid of all those size 8 -- and 10 if I'm being honest -- pants staring at me in my closet.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone for President

I read today that Kamala Harris has a plan to "end the unreasonable burden of student loan debt." Her plan is to "forgive&quo...