Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Enjoying My White Privilege

This morning I woke up feeling especially white, so I made myself some avocado toast. According to posts online and a slew of talking heads on MSNBC and CNN, avocado toast is clearly a sign of white privilege, a.k.a. white elitism. Most recently, Congressman Jamaal Bowman rapped about it during his unhinged primary campaign stop in The Bronx. (Good news: He lost.)

I was unaware of its significance when I first encountered it years ago and have never felt very privileged eating it, especially since Dunkin' Donuts sells it for $2.99, but who am I to fight the zeitgeist?

The recipe is so easy that anyone can make it, regardless of skin color, income and station in life. I daresay that with a little creative dumpster-diving, even a homeless person sleeping in a doorway could piece it together. 

I purchased the avocados yesterday and they were damn cheap: two for $2, which is another way of saying a buck each. Finding them ripe enough this morning, I cut one in half and spread it on a piece of sourdough toast, adding a sliced cherry tomato for fun. A bit of salt and pepper and that's it. I accompanied it with a cup of black coffee for balance.

Now, being so very white and so very elite, I have to go clean the toilets and the kitchen floor in our three-bedroom mansion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone for President

I read today that Kamala Harris has a plan to "end the unreasonable burden of student loan debt." Her plan is to "forgive&quo...