Friday, June 21, 2024

Jews and Bagels

I recently joined a Facebook group called "We Love Jewish Food," which I shall be leaving momentarily, like right after I post this blog. As an excellent cook who grew up at the feet of my grandmother, The World's Greatest Cook Ever, I figured it would be fun and even educational to read some recipes from other Jewish cooks, and even non-Jewish ones. 

Alas, that has not happened. Instead everyone just posts pictures of bagels! They talk about bagels incessantly -- apparently the Everything bagel is the most popular. Listen people -- real Jews don't just sit around eating bagels at every meal. In fact, this particular Jew has a bagel maybe once a month. 

That kind of thinking is very stereotypical (see illustration), like saying we all have big noses and are cheap. While my own nose is bigger than I wish, as it has grown over the years -- did you know the nose and the earlobes get bigger all our lives? -- it used to be small, and I am far from cheap, in fact generous to a fault you might say, considering I have spent many thousands of dollars on my sister-in-law and her three ungrateful kids over the years for Christmas and birthdays and have gotten in return only cheap crap from the Dollar Store that went straight to the trash, but that's another post. (BTW, they are not Jewish.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone for President

I read today that Kamala Harris has a plan to "end the unreasonable burden of student loan debt." Her plan is to "forgive&quo...