Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Diversity Is Overrated

Fun in the sun in The Villages.


Several weeks ago the New York Times Magazine featured a story about The Villages, America's largest retirement community. I only glanced at it since I had little interest in the subject, having seen a documentary about it not long ago. This week's Review section of the Times carried letters from readers pertaining to that story. I read those with great interest, as I am always wondering who reads that paper. (Not me, I only do the Sunday crossword puzzle.)

I was not surprised to learn that the readers of that slanted liberal rag are (mostly) a bunch of parroting, small-minded boobs. The overriding comment about the article, and complaint about the Villages, was that it is comprised of mostly white Christians. Located in Florida, the land of the retiree, readers were outraged that so many people would choose to live in a place lacking diversity.

What's that? Old folks looking to spend their remaining years pleasantly in a peaceful community without any crime? No looting? No gay protests, police brutality, carjackings, rapes, stabbings or break-ins? No violent drug trafficking or drive-by shootings? Just beautiful days spent playing golf and taking dance lessons and exercising and enjoying sunlight cruises? Having drinks on the hot-tub deck with like-minded friends? How dare they? Obviously they are all worthless pieces of crap, at least according to the authors of the printed letters. 

I lived in Washington, D.C. for 30 years and experienced diversity up to my eyeballs. Sure, there were interesting people, exciting theater, great restaurants and a vibrant night life. But I walked my dog around the block every night carrying a baseball bat. (Me, not the dog.) We had a security system in our home. I locked my door when I rolled the trash bins down the driveway to the street. I had two cars stolen, several friends murdered, a couple raped, was mugged, robbed and barely slept at night. 

Now I live in Maine with its shameful "lack of diversity" and I've slept like a baby for more than a dozen years. To all those aging baby boomers living it up in The Villages, I say "Rock on!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...