Saturday, February 23, 2019

What's That Smell?


Back when I was a teenager lacking self-confidence, I slathered on a cologne popular at the time so I would smell like all the popular girls. Eventually I realized that I would rather smell like myself and gave up the habit. Since then, nary a drop of perfume, cologne or scent of any kind, be it in lotions, deodorant, dish detergent or whatever, has touched my skin. In fact, I have often wondered who wears the stuff and how they have the nerve to enter a public elevator, go to a restaurant or get on an airplane. Today I got a clue.


In an interview in the Wall Street Journal, a master perfumer explains that his goal isn't to make things smell pretty, it's actually to "deliver an emotional and functional benefit to the consumer." He further states that a "clean laundry smell can deliver the impression of clean laundry and also the satisfaction of having done a good job."

Harrumph! The impression of clean laundry? I prefer actual clean laundry. As for the satisfaction of having done a good job, I have never resorted to a pile of laundry for that perk. Besides, I only buy detergents that are 100% free of perfumes and dyes. My current brand  claims to be the #1 choice of allergists, pediatricians and dermatologists for sensitive skin, and who doesn't have sensitive skin?

The annual salary for perfumers ranges from $90,000 to $283,000 depending on job location and experience. I'd say that's a pretty good gig for producing something nobody needs that does nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hamas Is In The House

In case you are wondering what's going on with our colleges and universities these days, let me explain: Hamas is in the house. They hav...