Monday, February 25, 2019

Poor Glenn Close

Quick, name a movie starring Glenn Close. Okay, there's The Big Chill, Fatal Attraction, Dangerous Liaisons and Jagged Edge. 101 Dalmations, The World According to Garp, Hook, Air Force One, Mars Attacks, Reversal of Fortune and The Natural. The Stepford Wives. There's a lot more, but my point is there's plenty.

Now quick, name a movie starring Halle Berry. Who? Halle Berry -- remember her? Very pretty black woman? Did a lot of Revlon commercials? Okay, well there was Catwoman. And X-Men. And lots of other crappy films nobody remembers. So how come Berry got an Oscar for Best Actress in 2002 at age 36 for Monster's Ball, a movie seen by nobody I ever met, and Glenn Close, twice her age, hasn't ever gotten one, including this year for The Wife?

The undeniable and sad truth is that nobody likes Glenn, despite her outstanding talent. I certainly don't and never have, even though Fatal Attraction is my go-to movie when I'm bored, feeling down or simply in the mood for a great yarn. I've seen it at least ten times and it never gets old, mostly because Glenn turned in a performance that never stops amazing. Still, I wouldn't want to meet her for lunch or anything. There's just something about her that's a turn-off, and I don't know what it is but it's why she lost the Best Actress Oscar for the seventh time!

You've got to wonder what it takes to get one of those things. Apparently wearing a 42-pound dress to the awards like Glenn did last night doesn't get you one, although I bet it does get you a major backache the next day. Anyway, I hope Glenn doesn't take the snub too hard and do something foolish, like OD on pills and liquor. In the silver lining department, if she did she would definitely get an Oscar next year -- one of those posthumous ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hamas Is In The House

In case you are wondering what's going on with our colleges and universities these days, let me explain: Hamas is in the house. They hav...