Wednesday, February 20, 2019

The Death of Humor

Things used to be a lot funnier. Including me. In fact, in my younger days I was always "the funny one." No more. Now I'm "the depressed one" or maybe just "sourpuss." I'm not sure if this is because I'm older and aging is nothing to laugh at, or because the world has gotten so much worse over the years, what's to laugh about? Thanks to the  overwhelming burden of political correctness, you can't even mock anyone except Donald Trump, but even that has been done to death on Saturday Night Live and is now just uncomfortably embarrassing to watch Alec Baldwin's career dying.

What's left to joke about? Nothing. If it were permissible I would make a joke about how Senator Cory Booker and CNN's Don Lemon are the same person, but I would be called a racist. Or how ever since Oprah Winfrey bought Weight Watchers, their TV commercials show hefty people eating pizza and chocolate cake and yukking it up instead of dieting, but I'd be called fat-shaming. Or how Bernie Sanders is old enough to be everyone's Grampa and surely we want a president with more gas in the tank, but I'd be accused of age discrimination.

The sad truth is that humor died with Joan Rivers. Even comedian Dave Chappelle's hands are tied, making him only smile-worthy these days. The only remaining gut-buster is Louis C.K., but we aren't allowed to laugh at his jokes because of the #MeToo people. It's a shame, because laughing used to be so much fun.

1 comment:

Hamas Is In The House

In case you are wondering what's going on with our colleges and universities these days, let me explain: Hamas is in the house. They hav...