Monday, February 4, 2019

Another One Bites the Dust

Earlier today I quit a dubious freelance position as a monthly columnist for a little-or-never-read local newspaper published by a bizarre, eccentric little man who finally became too much for me to bear. Add to that the fact that the pay was paltry and the guy never even posted it online, so I was denied even that credit. Throw in his insistence on British spellings (favour, colour, cheque) because he "loves England" even though he was born and raised in Tennessee, and I had simply had enough.

I always treated him kindly and never missed a deadline in two years, however once before I had said I was leaving and he talked me into staying. But today, with the glow of the New Year and New Beginnings still washing over me, I wrote him a short note saying that my next column, already submitted, would be my last and I would be moving on.

I immediately received back an incredibly nasty diatribe with the subject line, "YOU'RE FIRED!" He said in the body of his email that even though he had always received many compliments on my writing from his readers and advertisers and thus would miss me, he was "tired of my bitching and moaning" and that I couldn't possibly quit because he was firing me.

I wonder: Can you be fired after you quit? (Maybe that's a British thing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorful, But Still Monsters

Those surly, smart-ass, know-it-all (who really know nothing) American youngsters currently holding protests at exclusive colleges and unive...