Thursday, January 18, 2018

Slap On Some Blinders

Just focus on the good things!
Today I woke up and made a promise to God -- yes, I talk to God, who doesn't? -- that I would not engage in self-destructive behavior all day even if it kills me. (Ha ha, that's a good one.) I promised to eat well, not dwell on bad situations beyond my control, get plenty of exercise and make art, which is why I was put on Earth. So far I have eaten well but failed on all the other stuff, and I've already been awake for two and a half hours.

Imagine if only our best selves were always at the controls! We'd all be in great shape and smile more. Sadly this is not the case, which is why so many people are sick, angry, anxious and at loose ends. One sure way to decrease our collective anxiety, which has been found to affect 40 million Americans, is to steer clear of the news. I suspect that a happy, uninformed citizenry is far better in the long run than a country full of depressed people who know exactly how bad things are. And when that unexpected ballistic missile hits, if it ever does, at least I'll go on to the next life with a happy heart.

Even the weather forecast is anxiety-producing. Yesterday we were told to expect "dangerous, bone-chilling temperatures." Not just cold weather, but weather that would actually chill our bones, and dangerously so. That sounded bad, and so I stayed inside all day. (I wonder what I missed.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...