Sunday, April 30, 2023

We Will Never Be Rid of The New York Times

Today's New York Times devotes the entire front page of the Opinion section, 12 by 24 inches of its most valuable news space, to an illustration of Tucker Carlson, popular political analyst and former star of FOX News. Wow, that's something! You'd think they would save that for "FIRST TRANSGENDER DEAF PRESIDENT WITH DOWN SYNDROME WINS IN A LANDSLIDE." But no, it's Tucker, with a headline in tiny, almost illegible, letters stretching across his face that says, "We Will Never Be Rid of Tucker Carlson." (I certainly hope that's true.) 

They might as well have titled it, "We Will Never Be Rid of People Who Think for Themselves," or "We Will Never Be Rid of the Two-Party System," or "We Must Rid the World of People Who Disagree With Us" or "Anyone Who Dares to Have A Shred of An Original Thought Must Be Silenced." At the very least that would be honest.

Anyway, since my husband insists that we keep buying the Sunday Times, if only for the magazine crossword puzzle, I will continue to see articles that raise my blood pressure and make me nauseous, coincidentally two symptoms of my heart attack five years ago. I hope reading the Times doesn't kill me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me

Recently, my husband and I spent an enjoyable dinner out with friends. There were six of us at the table, and we spent most of our time shar...