Sunday, January 21, 2018

My Favorite Hate Mail

Over the years I have written articles, columns and the occasional Letter to the Editor that have been published in a variety of newspapers. Naturally, not every reader has agreed with me and several have taken pen to paper to say so. Following is my favorite piece of "hate mail" in response to a humor column for the Deseret News that complained about my rude and noisy next-door neighbors. It still can be found online by Googling my name, almost 20 years after the column first appeared: 

"I recently read an article written by Andrea Rouda (July 14, Page C1). In her article she complains about her new neighbors. Well, as far as I can tell she wouldn't be happy if Princess Di lived next door. During the whole article all she makes are negative comments about her neighbors.

I think she just moved here from Maryland so she would have a new set of things to complain about. She acts like she wants everyone in the neighborhood to call and ask if they can fix their car or mow their lawn. And I guess maybe all the kids should call and check before they play, just in case she might have a headache, so they won't disturb her. Just what is her idea of a neighbor? Someone who never says "hi" and doesn't have kids - someone who just lives like a hermit?

Who does she think she is running down everyone she meets? All I can say is I'm sure glad she didn't move into my neighborhood. I like my neighbor kids who stand in the street and play basketball. Neighbors who are always willing to lend a ladder or a tool. (Or even bring you a pasta salad when you are sick.)

I just hope she thinks about what she has printed in the paper about normal people being nice. Maybe she just needs to think about who needs to change. Has she ever thought maybe she is the one who needs an attitude adjustment?"

Courtnie Wood
Age 15
North Salt Lake City

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...