Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Milking the GMO Myth

Why are the so-called "masses" so dumb? And by "masses" I mean all those people I don't know and who don't read this blog (so relax, it's not you), since if they did I would be famous and make money at it. And by "dumb" I mean stupid, uninformed, lacking reason, accepting things at face value, and submitting to a crowd mentality. (Obviously not you, dear reader.)

I have met the occasional mass member over the years, as much as I try to protect myself from idiots. The last one I befriended was a woman who smuggled cocaine into this country by swallowing it in little plastic bags because her husband was a drug dealer and he asked her to. She eventually divorced him, joined the Witness Protection Program, then moved to Vermont where she married another man who read the New York Times every day and told her what to think. When I met her she was a fun-loving, pot-smoking alcoholic on antidepressants with a great sense of humor. That was many years ago, and I have since become much more selective concerning who I hang out with.

What's got me thinking about the stupidity of the masses is the following quote I read in a magazine called Farm Journal's MILK, not your typical newsstand option. We have a subscription since it is published by the company my husband works for. So every month I get to learn about the ins and outs of raising cattle, the latest milking equipment, the pros and cons of the bovine coronavirus vaccine, the latest milk price forecasts, manure bedding for cows, protective canvas covers for young udders (available in teal and magenta) and other fascinating esoterica.

Here's the quote, from an article about the results of a recent survey of mothers between the ages of 25 and 49 who are concerned about the safety and dangers of feeding GMO foods to their families
   "Thirty years of research by independent scientific organizations in the EU and U.S. have shown no negative health effects on more than 100 billion animals fed food grown with GMO farming methods. Likewise, no ill effects have been shown with human health." -- Marianne Smith Edge, a sixth-generation farmer and registered dietitian with A Fresh Look, a farmer-led nonprofit seeking to educate consumers about food production.

Still, many people, and by people I mean non-thinking humanoids who want to be perceived as doing the right thing, gnash their teeth over the existence of GMOs and only buy products stamped with the label NON-GMO. How teeny their brains must be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...