Friday, January 26, 2018

Gender Reassignment

Here in Maine there is snow on the ground from November through April. Naturally it gets tracked in on boots and shoes. Some thoughtful people remove their shoes when they enter a home. Others, not so thoughtful, don't. Since washing the floor is one of the things I hate doing most in life, second only to changing a flat tire, I rarely do it. But by yesterday afternoon my kitchen floor had become intolerable; made of black ceramic tile, every bit of dirt shows up like dandruff on a cheap suit. I bit the bullet and washed the damn floor.

Last night my husband came home from a trip and walked into the kitchen wearing snowy boots. His size-12 footprints went from the front door to the fridge. It was annoying, but since I was happy to see him and was also busy cooking dinner, I let it go. However, later I grabbed a wet rag and wiped up the dried dirt.

This morning Mitch went out to the gym and returned home with snowy sneakers. He made those same footprints all over the place, but this time I am not going to clean it up. I am going to live in a pigsty just like him and all the other men who don't remove their shoes and never even think of washing the floor. I will deny my gender and become like a man, at least in the floor-washing department.

1 comment:

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...