Saturday, October 13, 2012

Famous for What

I'm sort of glad I don't matter much these days. If you are older than 45, you know what I mean--today's movers and shakers are young people stuck in the muck and mire of Facebook and Twitter. I recently read "50 People to Watch on Facebook," and learned some pretty shocking things, like some people have 4,500 Facebook friends. Others claim millions of Twitter subscribers, reading their pithy declarations such as, "Just had some really awesome gelato." They hang out with celebrities in posh restaurants in foreign lands, and many of them are celebrities because they hang out with celebrities in those same restaurants, eating some of that awesome gelato.

Danny and Rhea when they were less bad-looking...
Just what makes someone a celebrity? Are there really people who are better than other people? How could that be? Okay, some of them might be somewhat better because they are thinner or prettier or more talented, but then you realize that Danny DeVito is a major celebrity despite being a hideous dwarf--let's be real here--yet if he walked into a restaurant where you were eating, everyone would be going wild saying, "Look, there's Danny DeVito!" And it's not even like he's some fabulous actor or anything--he was funny enough a couple of times on TV, but now he is a full-fledged celebrity whose wife, the equally unattractive and unexciting and un-special Rhea Perlman--is also a celebrity and is now leaving him, or so I have read. Their divorce is news! Those two are written about! Why is that? Would you cross the street to meet either one of them? I know I wouldn't.

Another celebrity who mystifies me is a woman named Jessica Simpson, the newest spokesperson for Weight Watchers, and earning $4 million hawk their program. The poor thing must be pretty fat now because they just show her from the neck up, so you can just imagine. Anyway, I have no idea what her talent is or ever was, but I hope the diet works for her. It must be tough being a fat celebrity, especially when you have so much money to spend on food.


2 comments:

  1. Go figure. I had to Google Jessica Simpson to know who you were talking about. Turns out my first thought, that she was OJ's honey, was wrong. Guess I don't matter either. After all, I never shake and barely move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please go rent the movie, "Living Out Loud". I think you will love Danny DeVito after seeing it and I know you will love the sound-track. You always promise to see the movies I recommend and then you don't. COME ON!

    ReplyDelete

Obama's New America

Barack Hussein Obama relaxing at home. The situation on many of America's college campuses is dire. Not only are we learning that studen...