Saturday, April 16, 2011

Calling a Spade "a Spade"

I admit it: I am fairly confused about the abortion issue, which seems to crop up every election season and then go into hibernation for another four years. What confuses me is how people talk about it in veiled language that pretties up the harsh reality. Why do they? After all, we call the death sentence a death sentence, not a "sleep forever" sentence or a "permanent nap," which by the way could actually catch on. Yet we insist on saying silly things like "a woman's right to choose" when we mean killing an unborn child. And how can someone being "pro-life" ever be a bad thing? Sounds good to me--hey, I'm all for life.

If we could just say what we mean, that might help many people, some even dumber than I, understand and then decide which side of the abortion issue they are on. And perhaps Planned Parenthood, which actually helps people arrange for un-parenthood, should change it's name to Abortions R Us.

2 comments:

  1. OK, I will say what I mean.

    Planned Parenthood has always stood for "every child a wanted child" and they offer services for comprehensive family planning, including infertility services.....3 percent of the services Planned Parenthood offers are abortions. It is NOT their main deal. For many women the PP clinic provides their primary care. Besides their reproductive health care, (prevention and treatment for STD's, pap smears, breast exams, PID, birth control, etc.)a woman can have a strep test, treatment for the flu, or an ear infection. Their education department offers good puberty classes, mother-daughter communication workshops, father-son workshops, AIDS prevention services, and a full health library for public use. The services are offered on a sliding fee scale and besides being affordable are of VERY HIGH QUALITY! Maybe they should change their name to Quality Care Here.

    I get so angry walking past those stupid picketers and their disgusting signs. When I told them I happen to LOVE PP the ugly woman asked me why? I told her. Her response was, "YOU were small once". I wished I were Joan Rivers right then. I would have said something nasty. But I just shook my head and asked her to leave my neighborhood. Why don't those people put their energies into caring for the live babies that nobody wants instead of the unborn ones which are none of their business. Or truly preventing the unwanted pregnancies by supporting comprehensive, available, affordable birth control (which is what PP is doing). If they really cared about the "small" ones where are they (the picketers) for head start funding, our public schools, day care centers in the workplace, Rape Crisis Centers, etc. etc. ad infinitum????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe your answer: not one typo! How did you do that?

    Anyway, your passion for the subject makes me believe your facts, and I did not know any of that. To me--from my own experience and those of people close to me--PP is the place to go for an abortion.

    Also, I don't care. But I am glad those people who need the place have the option.

    ReplyDelete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...