Saturday, July 27, 2024

My Last Letter to An Editor

My letter to the editor at the Portland Press Herald which was printed at 4:00 this morning has thus far engendered 107 hate-filled and insulting responses. Of course it pertains to politics, more specifically Kamala Harris who I believe to be a silly fool who was in the right place at the right time, and in possession of the right skin color and reproductive organs to qualify her to serve as the Vice President under the equally silly Joe Biden. In fact, besides causing the deaths of 13 American soldiers in his poorly executed withdrawal from Afghanistan, Biden's appointment of Harris as his VP is likely to be the only thing history will remember about him.

Rather than sparking a reasoned debate, instead my Republican point of view incensed the crowd of liberals who read that newspaper. I only read a few of the comments since they were so childish and nasty, but I got the gist: Kamala is God's gift while Trump and I both suck.

I've had a nice run getting letters published dating back 36 years, with my missives printed more than a few times in the Press Herald as well as the Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post and the New York Times. But today's was my last. What's the point? People are dug in and nobody's minds will change. 

Hey, I can relate. Just because I live in New England now, I'm still a Yankees fan and always will be, to hell with the Boston Sox, Red or White I forget which.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the letter you sent.. Yes - the knee-jerk liberals reacted as expected.. with fear, hate and loathing. But a few others might just read it and get a much-needed wake-up call... even if they don't feel able to publicly acknowledge it. We never know where our offerings will land.. or who might quietly benefit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying that, it lifted my spirits! I suppose you are right, when I was a teacher there were always one or two students who were actually paying attention. So maybe someone, somewhere......

      Delete

Art For Sale

 I submitted the oil paintings shown above to a local juried show here in Maine.  Still waiting to see if any are accepted.  Let me know if ...