Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Staying Calm the Millennial Way

Covid has made everyone a little jumpy, we can all agree. It takes nerves of steel not to collapse like a heap of Jello and sob. Can anything help? That depends.

In case you have ever wondered just how stupid some people are, here's a bit of evidence: Back in November 2019, a cell phone app called Calm boasted 2 million paid subscribers with a median age of 30-35. But then along came Covid, and since then their numbers have grown substantially. For example, in April of 2020, 3.9 million new users downloaded the app.

What exactly is Calm and how can it help you relax? I tried it once and all it did was make me laugh. But I can't describe it better than my dear cousin Brian, who posted the following on Facebook:

"There’s an app called Calm. If I’m all crazy with myself, I pick up my phone, try to remember my password and stare at a stupid screen while listening to sound effects, for $14.99 a month. Or I could go outside and look at a real tree and hear real sounds for free." 

He makes a great point. It's like paying Jenny Craig, or any of those diet gurus, to lose your own weight by eating frozen food they send in the mail and which tastes like army rations during wartime. In layman's terms, it's called "a rip-off."

If you're still interested in trying the app, Brian's got an idea that might prove its efficacy: "Go find the CEO of Calm and egg his car - see how calm Calm makes him then."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Getting Crude Over Crudités

Despite my best instincts, all too often I wade into the cesspool known as the World Wide Web. The very name bespeaks horror, bringing to mi...