Monday, January 8, 2018

Our Next President?

Oprah Winfrey whispering sweet nothings into Harvey Weinstein's predatory ear.
I don't know much about Oprah Winfrey, which is why I refer to her as Oprah Winfrey and not "Oprah" as many people do. I have never been a fan of her on TV or in the movies, or in magazines or on diets. (I prefer the ones where people actually lose the weight.) I know that she loves bread, which she declares on a television commercial for Weight Watchers, a company she now owns, or mostly owns. The fact that she loves bread is pretty obvious, and I'm betting she is also quite fond of cakes, pies, pizza and more like that.

Here's what else I know, or don't know that might be true, or maybe not: Ms. Winfrey was sexually abused by a relative, maybe an uncle or maybe her father, when she was a young girl. I also think she is in the closet with her girlfriend Gayle King but is seen around with her alleged beau, a man named Steadman Graham. Again, I have no proof of this, mind you, it's all just rumor and speculation, but there's a new book out about President Trump built on that quicksand and the author is raking in piles of dough on a speaking tour and interview shows, so I guess it's acceptable here in my little blog.

Suddenly, today, after Ms. Winfrey gave a speech to the Hollywood numbnuts who assembled to applaud themselves at an awards ceremony last night, all the women dressed in black as a signal to speak out against sexual harassment even though they have never spoken out about sexual harassment for years and years and kept sleeping with producers and directors to get juicy roles in their movies, people are talking about her running for president in 2020. (It's all the buzz, to use the vernacular.)

Whatever happened to the concept of grown-ups who majored in political science and have worked in government their whole lives and understand the delicate balance between nations running things? Is it all just about celebrities now? Is Oprah Winfrey suitable for the job because she is black, female, overweight and a billionaire, all very popular things to be these days? I'm pretty sure this whole downward slide started with Bill Clinton going on the Arsenio Hall show with his saxophone in 1992 and telling the world that sometimes he wears boxers and sometimes he wears briefs, and now look at us.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Andrea. This was, as usual, insightful and funny at the same time. You are an equal opportunity offender, and I so appreciate that. While I do not know much about political science--but which seems in this culture not to be a necessary prerequisite--except for not having any money or being a celebrity--I believe, judging from some of the most recent available candidates, that I would have about as good a chance as any being president. In the 1884 campaign, William Tecumseh Sherman, when asked to run by the Republicans, said, "If nominated, I will not accept; if elected, I will not serve." Tell you what: if I do accept my party's (I don't actually have one) nomination and get elected, I promise I will seek you out as my press secretary and, overall, part of my brain trust. Your friend from Scottsville-on-the-James, Jim

    ReplyDelete

A Dark Day At the Symphony

Yesterday I saw first-hand the blind ignorance of Mainers. Sure, there are smart Mainers, notably my dermatologist, my hip surgeon, my denti...