Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Old Un-Friends

I have, in the past, un-friended people on Facebook. I have done so without giving it much thought, like it was no big deal. Usually it has been because the person just posts too much stuff, and it gets crazy. Then I figured out how to "unsubscribe" from someone, which means you can keep them as a friend and just not get their news stream, so I do that now when the amount of input becomes overwhelming.

My son has advised me that the act of un-friending is perceived as "insulting and hurtful." I scoffed, saying it was not seen as a slight, at least not for my generation. But now I have discovered that an old friend of mine has recently un-friended me, and I am indeed insulted and hurt.

To anyone I have un-friended in the past, I'm sorry. And to that one friend who recently un-friended me, just in case she reads this blog from time to time and this might be one of the times: What did I do?

1 comment:

  1. unfriending is indeed very hurtful . . . I have folks I barely even know that are still my FB friends because of that . . .what a very strange world!

    ReplyDelete

Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz

It's hard to believe that what began in 2004 as an innocent tool intended for Harvard college boys to meet attractive coeds on campus ha...