Thursday, April 7, 2011

Another One Bites the Dust

Yesterday I quit my 48th job. This one was a volunteer position at the local community center's food pantry where I began working 18 months ago with the hope of actually doing some good. Perhaps I did, but the overwhelming result of the experience was an increased and intense dislike of BMWs, which in these parts does not stand for luxury cars but rather for Big Maine Women. Besides, giving away doughnuts and cream pies and canned pork and Spaghetti-Os to the mildly disadvantaged but hugely obese is a far cry from feeding those babies with distended stomachs you see in UNICEF advertisements.

Quitting a job has always come easy to me. I do it at the exact moment of realizing that the particular workplace environment is detrimental to my mental health and/or personal growth. Life is too short to give half of it away for no reward beyond a paycheck.

So now it's on to the next adventure. My husband is quite impressed with my employment resume and thinks I should write a book documenting my experiences, starting from my first job at a dry cleaning establishment stamping customers' names onto the inside of shirt collars and including the endless tales of bad bosses, workplace affairs, unfair employment practices and water cooler stories. I just might.

2 comments:

  1. With 48 jobs to speak of I think he is exactly right. That would be a fun book both to write and to read I bet! Just need a good hook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am almost positive it is even more than 48 jobs. Just scour your memory and some more will appear!

    Yeah, I see it just like Studs Terkel's "Working", but with a humorous look that makes it kinda like Dilbert in essay form!

    I believe NO ONE (perhaps in the history of time) has ever had as many diverse (and generally short lived) employment experiences as you, and so you are UNIQUE in your depth of first-hand knowledge, let alone UNIQUE in your point of view and way of spotting the truth in all situations!

    i see a very amusing, insightful book . . .

    ReplyDelete

A Bridge Too Far

Many people flipped out when, a few years back, President Trump called the media "the enemy of the people." Of course, most of the...