Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Getting Smarter, and Dumber

A Swede named PewDiePie.
I have been awake for two hours and have already learned something new. Well, two things really but only one of them will help me in life. Here are the things I did not know when I went to bed last night:

Deli-sliced Cooper cheese
1. Cooper cheese is actually American cheese, but with a touch of cheddar. I would never have bought it if I knew its true identity as American cheese, which suffers from a well-earned reputation as something inexpensive to plunk on top of a burger at an outdoor barbecue for a crowd or use in a toddler's grilled cheese sandwich. Being a cheese snob I have shunned it since my teen years, but it turns out that its more flavorful cousin Cooper is quite tasty melted on sourdough toast.

2. Somebody named PewDiePie is a leading YouTuber with 111 million subscribers. I never heard of him until today when his name appeared as a clue in the Wall Street Journal crossword. In 2016 TIME magazine named the comic one of the "100 most influential people in the world," when he was just 26. So I learned that our society is a joke and is destined to go the way of the Roman Empire, possibly as early as the day after our next election.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Making Sense With Kamala

Young Kamala, already saving money! Walking around my neighborhood this afternoon and noticing the proliferation of Harris lawn signs, I was...