Friday, January 31, 2020

Volunteering Is for Dummies

I have just embarked upon on a new volunteering adventure and I'm already disenchanted with it.  Can you blame me? Since I moved to Maine ten years ago, I have volunteered in the following positions at the following institutions. Sadly, none of it helped anyone, including me:

Maine Medical Barbara Bush Children's Center: Pushed a cart around the hospital floor, dispensing candy bars to doctors and nurses who were "hungry and tired from working so hard." (Four-hour shift, once a week. After completing two months of weekly training sessions and two TB tests to qualify, I did it for three weeks before almost completely losing my sanity.)

Maine Medical Orthopedic Center: Gave out paper garments for patients to wear during their X-ray examinations. (Three-hour shift, once a week. I lasted three months because it was so dumb I could hardly believe it.)

Mid-Coast Hospital: Knocked on the doors of rooms where sick people were recovering from surgery to ask their opinions on the hospital food and if they needed anything, like magazines. I had to use hand sanitizer when entering and again when leaving every room. (Four-hour shift, once a week. Lasted five weeks, no training required but the skin on my hands became raw and painful.)

Portland Museum of Art: Sat at an information desk and directed people to the bathrooms and cafe. Four-hour shift, twice a week. (Did it for three months until the snows came and my supervisor said it "didn't matter" if I came in at all, ever.)

Freeport Community Center Food Pantry: Handed out canned foods and day-old cakes, pastries and breads to people on welfare. Four-hour shift once a week. (Lasted for 18 months, hoping to make a difference in the way they did things, like putting the new frozen turkeys behind the old ones in the freezer. Didn't work.)

Portland Ronald McDonald House: Did laundry and changed bed sheets, washed dishes, cleaned the kitchen and swept the floors where the parents of sick kids stayed for free, sometimes for months at a time, and did nothing to keep the place clean. Four-hour shift, once a week. (Lasted three weeks until I realized that I had dirty laundry, dishes and floors at home and I didn't have to drive half an hour to get to them.)

1 comment:

  1. All the information I ever needed I get here from you. I always wondered about volunteering and there you are lol

    ReplyDelete

Hamas Is In The House

In case you are wondering what's going on with our colleges and universities these days, let me explain: Hamas is in the house. They hav...