Saturday, January 4, 2020

Enough Guilt Already

A dear friend of mine called earlier today in the midst of a "moral dilemma," she being white and living in a decidedly southern state of the union. She said felt guilty for this, especially after just reading a book that deals with the subject. Until then, she never knew just how responsible she was for the plight of minorities simply by being alive.

I checked out the book on Amazon and found it was but one of at least a dozen on the subject of white guilt, or rather White Guilt. I was poised to purchase the one my friend recommended, but thought better of it since I don't feel guilty about all that now and don't want to. I mean really, what can I do about it?My first thought was to walk around wearing blackface, but realized I would be tarred (ha) as a racist if I did.

Plain and simple, there is no solution. White people will continue being white, at least for the next couple of hundred years. Everyone should just get used to it. I know, we did a lot of bad things in the past, yada yada. But I personally never hurt anyone with a different skin color from mine, and in fact have enjoyed friendships with many members of minority groups over the course of my lifetime. So please, don't ask me to feel guilty. I'm Jewish, so trust me, I've got enough guilt already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You Are What You Eat

Here in Maine, it's fiddlehead season. Fiddleheads are baby ferns. If left undisturbed they would become adult ferns, like the ones you ...