Thursday, January 2, 2020

Boys Will Be Girls

Just last night I was petting my cat Lurch. All was sweetness and light until he turned around and bit my finger. I threw him off and vowed to never pet him again -- an empty threat since he demands being petted 24/7. Nevertheless I was pissed, shouting that Daisy, my one true love and now-deceased pet of 20 years would never, and in fact had never, done such a thing. The nerve!

My husband sprang to Lurch's defense, saying he couldn't help it, being male. "He's a tomcat, after all -- it's his nature to play rough," Mitch explained. "Boys will be boys." That got me wondering what happens in the case of transgenders: Will boys always be boys, or will they be girls if they alter enough body parts and take enough hormones?

The lesbian daughter of a friend of mine started dating a woman a few years ago who today has a beard and a hairy chest where her surgically removed breasts once were. I wonder, does her now boyfriend also leave a mess in the bathroom? Does he stomp around the house noisily and track mud in from the street? And how about the other way around? Does Caitlyn "Bruce" Jenner, female in so many ways but one, put the toilet seat down after she pees? Exactly how deep a cut does transgender surgery make?

1 comment:

  1. Time for a transgender interview. And your cat...all I have left now is Stormy, she's 14, she's alone most of the day so she's wide awake at night and wanting to attack me as much as possible (dig, bite etc) unless I have something for her to play with. Now Sunny, my cat of 19 years was so sweet to people, but hated other cats and I mess her dearly.

    ReplyDelete

You Are What You Eat

Here in Maine, it's fiddlehead season. Fiddleheads are baby ferns. If left undisturbed they would become adult ferns, like the ones you ...