Monday, January 13, 2020

Thinking Is Still Legal

"Hey! You can't think that and get away with it!"
It's still legal to think whatever you want. It surely will not be at some time in the future, especially if the Democrats get hold of the reins again. But for now, the worst that happens if you let slip some less popular thoughts is being shunned on Facebook. Being a semi-recluse with a mere handful of Facebook friends, that doesn't scare me. So I continue to think my thoughts and sometimes write them here, where those few readers who have stuck by me mostly share my point of view.

Most recently a scuffle arose over my obvious disapproval of transgender surgery, in fact of the whole gender fluidity "thing." I issued an apology to anyone I may have offended, and that stands, but I still find the whole he/she/they, what bathroom should I use, boy-with-a-vagina, girl-with-a-penis concept to be idiotic. Doubtless I will always feel that way, even if my own son, currently a perfect representation of strong masculinity in touch with his feminine side, were to tell me there's a girly-girl trapped inside him. "Do what you want," I'd say, "and I'll always love you, but I think you need a shrink more than a surgeon."

Following are a few other politically-correct notions that stick in my craw:

Saying "people of color" even though it's damn close to "colored people." I say neither and continue to refer to minorities as whatever they actually are.

Having fat fashion models on the runway. Or in commercials. Or anywhere except an ad for Little Caesar's Pizza. Yes I know -- most American are fat and getting fatter, but perhaps seeing the ease of movement enjoyed by those with better bodies might incentivize everyone to get in shape.

Allowing so-called "service dogs" on airplanes. This is a joke. I personally know people who simply paid a fee down at City Hall and slapped a vest on Fido that says "SERVICE DOG" when really they just couldn't find a pet sitter or refused to travel alone.

Hating Donald Trump just because he beat Hillary. Conversely, finding Trump amusing and effective is just not done, even if you plan to vote for someone else. You simply must hate the man -- and his wife and his children -- or you are the scum of the Earth, just like him.

Thinking Mayor Pete would make a good president. Democrats are quick to extol his virtues, even though he is a still-wet-behind-the-ears Boy Scout in charge of a small town (pop.101,860) with big problems. This is because most people seek brownie points for backing the gay candidate, as if being gay makes one a good and pious and special person, even though they would never vote for Little Petey come Election Day.

It's only 2020 and I am free to have these thoughts. But for how long?

1 comment:

  1. Vote for Trump lol, see how he just free flows with his thoughts right out of his mouth and it's so appalling! So far he has told 15,000 lies. If anyone is gleefully exposed as he and just keeps on trucking, you know your thoughts and what you have to say are safer than the alternative.

    ReplyDelete

You Are What You Eat

Here in Maine, it's fiddlehead season. Fiddleheads are baby ferns. If left undisturbed they would become adult ferns, like the ones you ...