Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Oscar the Grouch


Some days I wake up with an overwhelming urge to write something uplifting. Something that might inspire others to do good, to feel better, to be nicer to one another. Like an animal trapped inside a black box, my ego scurries around the darkest recesses of my brain seeking the exact words that might heal. I feel this urge not only so that others might benefit, but so my own dark moods might improve; after all, one does not suffer a heart attack because one feels fabulously happy.

Alas, today is not that day. Not with Australia's fires burning up adorable koala bears, and a volcano in the Philippines spewing hot lava for 50 miles, and our civil war waging on Capitol Hill, the troops led by Generals McConnell and Pelosi.

Besides all that, I am really pissed off that Adam Sandler was not nominated for an Oscar for his recent stellar performance, acclaimed by all the film critics, in Uncut Gems. I haven't seen it yet but I have seen Adam Sandler -- many times. I've seen him be outrageously funny (Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison) and also extremely moving (Punch Drunk Love, The Meyerowitz Stories). Still, he gets no respect. Not like the popular kids -- say Brad Pitt, who simply has to sneeze convincingly to be nominated for an Oscar, or Scarlett Johansson, nominated for TWO this year because she's so pretty.

So, maybe tomorrow.


1 comment:

  1. Hey! At least you make the effort, no matter what. My ego has gotten squashed so many times, I'm an idiot enough to keep posting things on facebook that no one responds to and pretend people are interested in me. That's where ADD helps me lol, onto the next thing. I hope you have a nice afternoon.

    ReplyDelete

You Are What You Eat

Here in Maine, it's fiddlehead season. Fiddleheads are baby ferns. If left undisturbed they would become adult ferns, like the ones you ...