Friday, January 17, 2020

Dr. Who?

To allay my fears about any new ailment that crops up, our family physician always tells me to relax, adding that whatever it happens to be is, "As common as a penny!" That usually works. But today I went for my annual checkup with my cardiologist, who reminded me that another thing that's as common as a penny is having a heart attack. Neither of us addressed the elephant in the room, which is that the thing that's even more common than a penny is death. Some things are best left unsaid, and besides, we're not that close. Actually, I might have trouble picking him out of a lineup.

I met my cardiologist a little over two years ago, after my first and only heart attack. I was lying in my hospital bed when he walked in the room and asked, "Do you have a cardiologist?"  Of course I did not, so he said, "Well, I can be your cardiologist." Post-surgery and happy to be alive, I said sure. I have seen him three times since then, counting today. During the same period I have seen my orthodontist six times, my dental hygienist nine times and the fish guy at Bow Street Market 140 times.

1 comment:

  1. I hope if you see the fish guy your eating and enjoying fish and I am still reading your book and your writing is compelling and hilarious at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

You Are What You Eat

Here in Maine, it's fiddlehead season. Fiddleheads are baby ferns. If left undisturbed they would become adult ferns, like the ones you ...