Sunday, January 27, 2019

Sunday Afternoon Cultchah

My husband and I went to the symphony this afternoon and had a two-hour respite from the festering cesspool known as American politics. It was heavenly. Sitting with eyes closed, I enjoyed a powerful rendition of Tchaikovsky's Romeo and Juliet Overture presented by the Portland Symphony Orchestra, which is a lot closer to a real orchestra than the Portland Museum of Art is to a real museum. In fact, it's damn close.

It was dreamy to just sit there and let the music flood into my ears like a healing syrup. It was all quite stirring. When it ended the musicians received a standing ovation that lasted long enough for the conductor to leave the stage and come back on three times, returning to still-thunderous applause each time.

Then we drove home, where I attempted to make a dent in the Sunday New York Times but found it to be so biased and smug that I didn't get very far, try as I might. And considering it costs us $12.00 a week to have it home-delivered here in Maine, you know I tried. But those liberal columnists are impossible to stomach, which is another way of saying they make me sick. It's either their way or the highway, and since their way is tone-deaf and closed-minded, I find the highway to be far preferable. (In this case, "the highway" turned out to be Words With Friends on my iPhone.)

At least we don't see much of Hillary anymore. That's something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where is Your Focus?

By now, most functioning adults should have realized two things: Joe Biden is a demented fool who is not really making any decisions for our...