Sunday, January 20, 2019

Peter Pan Was On To Something

And maybe a bedtime story too?
There are no more adults. I mean just look at our President: surely he is not what you would call a grown-up, yet still he was elected by our many, many citizens of voting age who allegedly are. In fact, it's hard to find any truly adult adults these days, especially since aging and being old are considered sins in our youth-obsessed society.

I spotted a clear indication that many of us are just big kids, or aspire to be, while dining at a local bistro last evening. The "Happy Hour" sign placed on our table advertising cheap wine and beer from four to six pm had been been covered over by a new one suggesting cookies and milk. Three warm chocolate-chip cookies, to be exact. Okay, sure, I wanted some; who wouldn't? But I've been off dairy since my heart attack -- clear evidence of adulthood -- and cookies never helped anyone get healthy. I asked our server how many people went for them, and he said "almost everybody."

Childhood is nice, but fleeting. Still, signs are everywhere that it's making a strong comeback among the older generations. Like today, with a blizzard keeping me indoors, I feel like baking cookies. And maybe afterwards, we could have a neighborhood snowball fight. After all, who says we can't?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where is Your Focus?

By now, most functioning adults should have realized two things: Joe Biden is a demented fool who is not really making any decisions for our...